Thursday, September 13, 2012

Freedom To Be A Kid

  Tea and serious contemplation. Interruptions of laughter and simple questions. Running and jumping. An invitation to come play~
  We live in a very success driven and responsibility grounded society. There is no end to the encouragement to be better, climb higher, and learn more. Do well in your career and take care of the serious matters in life. Learn the principles, don't take risks, and keep focused. I know that I have grown up constantly looking towards the future. Each step in life was supposed to carry me closer to becoming a "responsible adult". I have no idea when I will arrive at this stage, but I figured that there would be a few red flags to let me know. You know, the degree, the career, the home, the financial stability, the community, and the family. I have been able to check off a few of those, but I never felt any change. Truth is that I am not sure what this "being an adult" is supposed to feel like! So I continue to push forward and keep composed and focused. In fact, I am working so diligently toward this adulthood that I fear I am missing out on some simple fun. I think that happens a little to all of us. We feel the need to keep serious and protect our image - an image of being a reliable, respectable adult. Well, I have realized that I definitely change my personality in this process. I become uncomfortable in silly situations and especially around kids. 
  However, I find myself around kids and in silly situations more and more. My response? Well, how do you respond to a little girl who smiles so big when you give her a teddy bear? How do you respond when a coworker catches you humming Disney tunes at your desk? Or how about to the kids who play red rover with every church goer that walks through the door? Laugh and join in! God gives us joy every day. We should accept it and feel free to participate in whatever comes our way. Free to play and to be a little silly. This is good for our soul and helps us to grow and learn about each other. I think God gets a kick out of the kids who climb up on my desk and ask all about my computer. I do.

  So, I will be open to silliness and continue to play games.
  Join in.

No comments:

Post a Comment