Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Learning Trust

  A rainy, cool morning. Tea steam and reflections on my heart. Scripture and common prayer. Then, these words:
Whenever I am afraid, I will put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust and will not be afraid.  Psalm 56:3-4
  This is the longing of my heart and a powerful lesson. Yet, it is often so difficult and distant. We are well aware of our own mortality and the dangers of this world. Fear is a natural self preservation instinct. We go through life examining every situation and ask a single question: "Can I trust this to be safe?" In many cases, this is good and keeps us from taking unwise risks. This keeps us alive! However, this question can also hold us back and keep us from experiencing the amazing world around us. I believe that God has created us to explore and share in this amazing creation. The last thing He wanted us to do was to sit safely in our comfortable homes and watch people at a safe distance. God wants us out there with each other! Interacting, experiencing, loving, and sharing. How easy it is to type that - How difficult it is to live that.
  My time this morning also included a reading from Matthew 6:25-34. Jesus tells us to not worry about the day to day necessities, but to instead have faith in God. "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself." We are called to lay down our worrying and to trust in God. That is some serious trust. To not concern yourself with the food and drink you need to live, but to simply have faith in His provision.
  I find strength and reassurance in learning to trust the Lord. That feels right and true. Yet I wonder, where else should I put my trust? I am a very open, genuine person with those around me. I am eager to trust people until they prove otherwise. Is this wise? I have to believe that God would want us to seek out each other, as sisters and brothers in Christ, for support and trust. So, perhaps we are not to simply trust another person in our life at face value. Rather, I believe we are to look deeper and find the love of God within them and learn to trust that. This takes time and deep understanding. The rewards far outweigh the costs - so it is worth it.
The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them. -Ernest Hemingway
  I suspect that learning to trust is one of life's most difficult tasks. I will go in prayer to the Lord and learn first to trust in His way. Then I will seek Him out in the people around me.
  I crave the reward and will do the work.

1 comment:

  1. Having said all that, I must say that it does get exhausting at times to try and find truth in everyone. Sometimes I just get worn out trying to trust what people have to offer. Those are the times when I can go back inside myself and find God there - His love and truth.

    ReplyDelete