Sunday, September 30, 2012

Revealed By Quiet

Golden fall days. Warm sun, yet a nip in the air. Our world slows and quiets~

I can not stand silence. Those who know me well can attest to this fact. I live for interaction with others - chats over coffee, laughing about the stories we tell, or discussing our lives and beliefs. I learn a little more from each interaction. I edit and mold my personal volume of wisdom and truth. I take a moment after a significant interaction and really explore what was shared. How do I react and what thoughts spring to mind? What am I being guided towards as I interact with those around me? So, silence appears like the absence of learning and growth. Hence my inherent discomfort and avoidance of silence in my life. If no person is around, I fill my space with music, radio shows, or interesting talks. I need to feel part of a discussion. Part of active growth.
Yet, I have become fully aware that God chuckles at us when we get set in our ways and begin to believe that we understand ourselves fully. He chuckles at our child-like claims of certainty. Then He reaches out in a simple,smooth motion and...turns our entire world completely on its head~
During this autumn, when I find so much of my life slowing down and changing, it seems that quiet is unavoidable. In fact, it is chasing after me in a sort of slow-motion movie chase scene sort of way. I make big dramatic efforts to avoid and escape, yet it is just as quick and clever. This pursuit is incessant. I find myself exhausted... I give up every now and then. My running ceases and quiet washes over my life - seeping into all the corners and cracks. When it sets in, I find myself nervous and a little scared.
Yet, if you allow quiet to settle in gently and adjust around you, it will reveal amazing things to you. I am talking about comforting, warm quiet and not dead, cold silence. There is a difference! The quiet in my life now reveals much beauty and wisdom. Love from friends and family that are at great distances finds its way into my walls. Flavors in fresh foods and aromas of soups and baked goods fill the air in a way never before experienced. Passions for art and creativity are unleashed and fueled. Possibilities and ideas are lining up to be gently realized and deeply seen and embraced. The quiet allows me to see myself and to hear God in a way that is often mysterious and uneasy for me. Fortunately, God has an infinite amount of patience and love for me as I stumble and awkwardly approach Him in the quiet of my life.

Let the Autumn quiet and beckoning rest wash over your days. Steep some tea in your favorite mug. Embrace what the quiet reveals~

No comments:

Post a Comment