Thursday, January 3, 2013

Giving Time To Grow

Hearty beef-barley soup with whole grain bread. Brie on the side. And, of course, some tea spiraling steam into the air.
Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant. --Robert Stevenson
  Perhaps it is the constant cold of winter. Or maybe the routine tasks of my work. Could even be the predictable rhythms of my rising, preparing, feeding, winding down, and sleeping. Whatever the factors may be, my days do seem to be repeating. Sometimes it is hard to distinguish one day from the next. Performing the same tasks, going to the same places, and seeing the same people. Yes, it is often quite easy to be unsatisfied by my days. I suppose that I am looking for the instant and recognizable proof that my day mattered. That I did something really worthy.
  However, there are some days where those instant results - those warm,fuzzy moments or clear results tasks - just don't happen. Instead, the work that you do and the moments that you have are merely small preparations for something bigger. I think that I have been told this over and over, but it is true. Anything really worth having is worth the work and long wait. So when my day feels unfulfilled and the monotony becomes overwhelming, I can find peace in reminding myself of the something larger that I am working towards. I can appreciate the little things as mere steps along the path. Thinking this way makes everyday a step forward. I am learning and progressing.
  So, maybe those routine days are not meant to give you meaning. Perhaps they are meant to teach you something. Live into them graciously. Routine for you could be meaningful for someone you meet.

Take time to learn~

No comments:

Post a Comment