Friday, January 25, 2013

Developing Quality: Compassion

Railroad ride the afternoon before. Waking in a different setting - a bustling city. A colorful coffee shop with lively discussions and pleasing aromas~

Compassion is something that you can develop with practice. It involves two things: intention and action. Intention simply means you remember to open your heart to others;you expand what and who matters, from yourself to other people. Action is simply the "what you do about it." Compassion develops your sense of gratitude by taking your attention off all the little things that most of us have learned to take too seriously. When you take time, often, to reflect on the miracle of life - the miracle that you are even able to read this book - the gift of sight, of love, and all the rest, it can help to remind you that many of the things that you think of as "big stuff" are really just "small stuff" that you are turning into big stuff.  -Richard Carlson, Don't Sweat the Small Stuff... and It's All Small Stuff
    These words really speak to a core anxiety of mine. Am I being as compassionate and loving as I can in my interactions with others? I am a "helper" type of person. I will bend over backwards and change my plans in order to be open and assist those around me. It means quite a bit to me to know that I have done everything that I can for someone in need. Perhaps not meeting all their needs, but most definitely the ones that I can. So, it is nice to know that having compassion for those around me only takes a shift in my thinking. Of course, then I just need to followup with my actions. Take the steps before me.
   Thinking about compassion and making myself aware of how I interact with people every day allows me to notice things. I notice how often I want to interrupt people and draw the focus back on myself. I notice how I preserve a distance from people at first while I size them up - making little judgments before deciding how to relate to them. I notice how I often write people off and choose to invest nothing in our interaction.
   These are the traits and actions that build up the walls in our communities and instill anxieties within ourselves. I love realizing that compassion, when properly cultivated, will breed gratitude. Having gratitude for the gifts and miracles in your life really makes anxieties just melt away. Hard to worry about a potentially negative interaction with a coworker when you can appreciate your ability to devote yourself to your work. And all those logistics and details of taking a trip? Well, just focus on appreciating the natural beauty that you get to enjoy.
   Compassion will generate gratitude. Gratitude will add joy to your life. In my personal experience, it has been so rewarding to focus on the lives and stories of others. It is a blissful retreat to be released from living within yourself - to get out of your own thoughts about yourself. Amazing encounters and stories are out there.

Be open. Practice compassion. Enjoy the quiet rewards.

No comments:

Post a Comment