Thursday, April 21, 2011

Living Simply

     I love to wake up slowly and peacefully. My alarm was set, but I was gently woken by the warm caress of sunshine through the window and the sound of birds chirping. I breath deep and sit up in my modest bed. My room is small, but I do not require much space. Wash up, get dressed, and head downstairs - it is time to start the day. A good breakfast and a cup of tea get me ready for a day of good work.
     I didn't have internet or TV. I didn't worry about my appearance or what I was wearing. I worked and shared meals. My hands got dirty and I grew tired. Tasks were crossed off the list. It was an incredibly fulfilling day. And yet I am baffled by this. I didn't have all the luxuries that I am used to and spent most of the day doing manual labor. But by the time we called it quits, I was still happy and at peace. No matter the weather or change in plans. We worked and got through a day - simple as that. Nothing to cloud my mind or distract me. I was in nature and very aware of my surroundings. I had all that I needed and I now find myself at the end of the day - satisfied and free of regrets. Life can be that simple.

Watch out for clutter in your days. We need little more than food and community.

No comments:

Post a Comment