Monday, April 18, 2011

Washed Clean

     I love rain showers. The large dark clouds roll in and the rumbling of thunder can be heard. The first drops of rain speckle the roadways and sidewalks. Soon everything has been lightly touched by the sprinkling drops. The rain picks up and builds into a steady shower. The water washes over the trees and buildings. It streams down the window panes as I watch. The world outside is being washed clean.
     As I sit and gaze, I find myself longing to be washed along with everything else. I would love to just have the rain wash away the stresses and and the occasional pain of life. All the dirt and grime that collects -- doubts, shame, sickness, weariness, uncertainness... To be cleansed and healed by a refreshing shower of water. Rather than run out the door and get soaked to the bone, I curl up with a cup of tea and watch the gentle shower out the window. This peaceful moment will have to be as close to the rain as I come. So I take time to reflect on the things I wish to be rid of and then let them go. It may feel like the dirt of life is clinging to me, but actually I am clinging onto it. I am holding tightly to all the stress and trouble -- not even knowing why. So, I let the tea and the rain relax my grip. Just let them go.

Allow for those peaceful and cleansing moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment